Are you here in Vietnam but you want to stay in the country longer while the Vietnam visa is about to expire? Do you need to get a new Vietnam visa or are there some ways to legitimately lengthen the stay? Let’s find out about the Vietnam visa extension in the post below.
1. What is Vietnam visa extension?
You must have heard of Vietnam visa extension and visa renewal, so what is the difference between those two?
Actually visa extension is the action of prolonging your stay in Vietnam with a new stamp in the passport clarifying a new duration while renewal will be like you are applying for a new Vietnam visa stamp. In addition, foreigners can extend their Vietnam visa without leaving the country while visa renewal requires expats to leave Vietnam and then enter with a new visa.
2. Policy of Vietnam visa extension during Covid19
Due to the outbreak of Covid19, the Vietnam Immigration Department has released the policy of automatic Vietnam visa extension. Therefore:
- Those who come to Vietnam after March 1, 2020 and are stuck in the country by the pandemic will be automatically extended their visa until November 30, 2020. It means you will not be subjected to fine, or penalty if you exit Vietnam by November 30, 2020 due to being stranded here.
- Those who come to Vietnam before March 1, 2020 can be also applicable for the policy, but they are required to show documents proving they couldn’t depart from the country because of the Covid 19.
3. How to extend visa in Vietnam
Before applying for Vietnam visa extension, please be reminded that your passport is at least 6 months in validity and 2 blank pages for immigration procedures.
Vietnam visa extension will be different from each case, so for the exact required documents and process, please contact directly with the office of Immigration Department you are going to submit at:
- Hanoi Immigration office: 44-46 Tran Phu, Ba Dinh District, Hanoi
- Danang Immigration office: 78 Le Loi, Thach Thang, Hai Chau, Da Nang
- Ho Chi Minh City Immigration office: 196 Nguyen Thi Minh Khai, Ward 6, District 3, Ho Chi Minh city
- Monday-Friday (Morning: 7am – 11h30am; Afternoon: 1h30pm – 5pm); and
- Saturday (Morning time only)
4. Vietnam visa extension types
The new duration of stay will depend on your current Vietnam visa, and it is currently 1 month, 3 months and 6 months types as follows:
Extend visa for 1 month if:
- Foreigners coming to Vietnam with Vietnam visa exemption;
- Foreigners coming to Vietnam with 1 month Vietnam tourist visa;
- Foreigners coming to Vietnam with 3 months Vietnam tourist visa;
- Foreigners coming to Vietnam with Vietnam e-visa;
- US citizens coming to Vietnam with 1-year Vietnam tourist visa;
Extend visa for up to 3 months if:
- Foreigners coming to Vietnam with 1 month Vietnam business visa;
- Foreigners coming to Vietnam with 3 months Vietnam business visa;
- US citizens coming to Vietnam with 1-year Vietnam business visa;
- Foreigners coming to Vietnam holding APEC Business Travel Card;
Extend visa up to 6 months if:
- Foreigners coming to Vietnam with 5-year Vietnam visa exemption certificate;
Here are all the things that you should know to extend your visa in Vietnam. In case you have difficulty, just contact the Immigration Department or a visa agent for assistance. In case your number of extension times has reached to its limit, you may consider a visa run. However, this way of extending your stay in Vietnam is not available in this COVID.