There are lots of documents issued in Australia that need to be legalized and authenticated before use in Vietnam. However, many people still haven’t understood well about this process. What is legalization and authentication? How to get it done in Australia? All will be explained here in this post.
1. What is Legalization?
Legalization of documents is an act of proving the authenticity of an official document by the administrative authority. A legalized document usually contains a stamp and a signature as well.
Therefore, in details, legalization of the document will confirm:
- The authenticity of the signature;
- The authenticity of the stamp;
- The capacity of the issuing authority;
List of documents that will need to be legalized include:
- Birth certificate; marriage, or death certificate;
- Notarial acts and documents/ decision from court;
- Diplomas and educational certificates;
- Police certificate;
- Letters of invitation/ enrolment;
- Certificate of citizenship;
The competent authorities for legalization also depend on the country you are going to use those documents, the country where you are going to legalize your papers, and type of document as well. But in general, you can contact the Embassy of Vietnam in Canberra, Australia for legalization of documents that will be used in Vietnam.
2. What is Authentication?
Authentication is the process of proving the stamp and signature in the document is genuine. So the documents for authentication must be original with the mentioned above stamp and signature.
3. Legalization of Documents issued by Australian Authorities to be Used in Vietnam
Those who would like to legalize documents issued by Australian authorities for use in Vietnam are required to prepare papers as below:
- Documents issued by Australian authorities to be recognized and used in Viet Nam;
- Documents authenticated by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade of Australia (DFAT);
- Sample of seal and signature of DFAT official that was introduced to the Embassy of Vietnam in Australia;
- Documents qualified for legalization or not exempted from legalization.
Besides, supporting documents are also requested such as:
- Cover letter;
- Copy of original passport or driver license;
- 01 return self-addressed envelope (for return service via post);
- Legalization fee in AUD (by bank cheque or Money Order payable to “The Embassy of Viet Nam”).
- Documents authenticated by the following Offices of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade of Australia (or State Office in each state).
4. Fee of Legalization and Processing Time
Normally it takes 5 working days to process from the day when the documents are fully received. Fees of legalization are various from different Embassy/ Consulates, so if you are going to get it done at the Vietnam Embassy in Canberra, Australia, please contact them directly for more information.
- Office Address: 6 Timbarra Crescent, O’Malley, ACT, 2606
- Postal Address: PO BOX 98, Mawson ACT 2607Working hours: 09:00 to 17:00, from Monday to Friday
- Telephone: (02) 61694915 or (02) 61694917
- Fax: (02) 61083034